Monday, December 7, 2009

Spicing up an Organic Cake-in-the-Box (modified recipe success!)

Last night, I had bunco night with the girls and had made Simply Organic brand Carrot Cake from the box because I didn't have time to make something from scratch... only, I didn't stay true to the directions - I'm such a rebel! I like to have a box of cake or brownies around for just such an emergency, and these were on sale at New Seasons Market for 2/$4 and I also had a $1 off 1 coupon from HERE, so it was only $1 for the box of ORGANIC, gluten free cake mix! I also bought a Banana Bread mix.

When you don't have carrots for a carrot cake, make it a Spice Cake!
I didn't have carrots around, so I improvised and added 1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg and 1 teaspoon ginger... I also wanted to make it more ooey-gooey, so I added 2 Tablespoons Organic butter (Kirkland brand from costco) and reduced the water by about 2 Tablespoons. Probably not the most perfect "substitution", but it worked and it tasted sooooo yummy. I was also so proud because I was able to use 2 eggs from our backyard chickens!
The only problem was the powdered sugar I sifted on top was STALE - ooops, sorry girls! So, I'll have to buy more powdered sugar for the pantry next shopping trip and use up the rest for something real fast - maybe some sugar cookies for my family and I'll wait to make cookies for the neighbors from the new bag of powdered sugar!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment... I'd love to hear your ideas!